openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Installation Issues » Interest in a Mavenised form of the code?
Re: Interest in a Mavenised form of the code? [message #2130 is a reply to message #2128] Thu, 08 February 2024 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Dear Mark,

many thanks for your investigation on jpackage. My way of creating all three installers using three completely methods on the three platforms is historic and only done, because at that time no cross platform solution supported registering file types and corresponding icons. They have all been pretty useless. For the recent update I used the old mechanism because I didn't have the time to evaluate more modern solutions. I had considered Hydraulic Conveyor, because with it you can build on one platform installers for all platforms, it supports icons and file types and it simplifies application signing, which might be necessary in the future. It is commercial, but free for open source projects. I didn't have the time to try it yet and finally don't know, which solution is the most promising. Essential are platform and icon registration (double click on the OS level omust open file, second file must open in first open app, except Linux), splash screen, multi architecture support (e.g. universal binary for MacOS). Of course, ideally, everything is defined once and then translated by the tool into every platform installer.

Of course it would be fantastic, if you could create a Github repository that creates proper applications and installers for Mac,Linux,Windows just from the datawarriorlauncher.jar and datawarrior_all.jar. Do you think, JPackage can do that? Or rather Conveyor? A link would be https://conveyor.hydraulic.dev/3.0/faq/comparisons/#1-jpacka ge

Best wishes,

Thomas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Instantly quits
Next Topic: RHEL 7x - DW 6x - Error on open
Goto Forum: