openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Bug Reports » Column groupings not carried over in template
Column groupings not carried over in template [message #1489] Mon, 31 January 2022 22:35 Go to next message
Andrew0
Hello Thomas,

I am trying out the Column Group functionality to help manage the large number of columns in my dataset. I think it will work nicely! But when I tried to apply the .dwar file with column groups as a template to another file, they don't carry over. Is there anything special I need to do for this?

I'll sneak in a small feature request here too. Is there any chance of getting an Excel-like collapse/expand group function to quickly show or hide related columns? It works well for my team in Excel, but Excel doesn't have the column reordering flexibility that DataWarrior does, so I can understand if this would be difficult to implement.

Thanks, as always, for your continued work on this valuable tool.

Andrew
Re: Column groupings not carried over in template [message #1490 is a reply to message #1489] Tue, 01 February 2022 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nbehrnd is currently offline  nbehrnd
Hi Andrew,

for the first part of your question, I would suggest to return to the original unprocessed file (i.e., prior using the group functionality) and start all over again while capturing the actions as a macro (Macro -> Start Recording). Once done, close the recording (Macro -> Stop Recording), and export the macro as a separate file (a .dwam file). If your next .dwar file (x + 1) is organized in the same pattern as the original file (x), you may import this macro, and execute its stored actions again; like a template. Because this works well for recurring computations/assignments; it is worth a try in your case of application.

Norwid
Re: Column groupings not carried over in template [message #1491 is a reply to message #1490] Tue, 01 February 2022 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew0
Hello Norwid,

Thank you for your suggestion. It is not intuitive to me that the column groups do not carry over by template, but the macro approach will work well for my use case.

In case Thomas sees this, I would like to amend my feature request above. Rather than Excel-style expand/collapse buttons, I think a few (hopefully) simple menu additions may accomplish the functionality I am looking for. Right now, there are options to "Show Only Group", "Show All Columns", or Show/Hide individual columns. I would like to see "Show Group" and "Hide Group" options as well, to allow users to select just a few groups to look at.

Thanks again, Thomas and Norwid.
Andrew
Re: Column groupings not carried over in template [message #1499 is a reply to message #1491] Wed, 09 February 2022 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Hello Andrew and Norwid,

column-to-group assignments are defined in the column properties and therefore considered part of the data itself and not of the template. This is unfortunate in this particular case, but as Norwid pointed out (many thanks), macros can be used to solve this issue.

I also added the suggested show/hide all columns from a group feature. For now I added the menu items to the table view configuration menu close to the other column group related menu items. Alternatively, one might prefer them in the table header popup menu together with the other show/hide items. This menu is already quite large, but maybe the better place. What do you think is more intuitive?

Best wishes,

Thomas
Re: Column groupings not carried over in template [message #1500 is a reply to message #1489] Wed, 09 February 2022 22:35 Go to previous message
Andrew0
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your fast attention to my suggestion! Of the two options you suggested, my preference would be to see the grouping functionality added into the table header popup menu. It seems like the place I would naturally look for such a feature.

Many thanks for your attention.
Andrew
Previous Topic: Linux version bugs
Next Topic: unable to open files when username contains umlaut
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:43:43 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08164 seconds