openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Bug Reports » Rounding behavior changed?
Rounding behavior changed? [message #960] Fri, 19 June 2020 18:07 Go to next message
mcmc
One thing I really liked about DW is its rounding option. I use it all the time to make the table more readable and scientifically sound.
I was pretty sure that rounding on 2 numbers would change 4567 to 4600 before. My current version (v05.02.01) does not do that anymore. It keeps showing 4567. All digits before the decimal point are shown, irrespective of the rounding setting. (see attached image)
Is that an intentional change?

index.php?t=getfile&id=213&private=0
  • Attachment: rounding.png
    (Size: 8.02KB, Downloaded 428 times)
Re: Rounding behavior changed? [message #964 is a reply to message #960] Sun, 21 June 2020 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
This was indeed changed, because I had the feeling that in cases where rounding causes trailing zeros, these would still pretend a precision that is not there anymore. But I agree that it is inconsistent and maybe was not a good idea. I went back to the original behaviour, which is now part of the current development version.
Re: Rounding behavior changed? [message #966 is a reply to message #964] Mon, 22 June 2020 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mcmc
Cool. Thanks.

I like rounding so much, I would go as far as suggesting rounding all cells by default to 3 digits. Three is plenty, and it is generally wrong to use more.
Re: Rounding behavior changed? [message #970 is a reply to message #966] Sun, 28 June 2020 00:10 Go to previous message
richards99 is currently offline  richards99
Hi mcmc,

I couldn't agree more. Rounding is very useful, and I would so much prefer for it to be 3 digits by default, with the option to change it if needed. Displaying all digits drives me crazy and takes me ages to process each column and get it rounded to 2 or 3 digits.

Simon.
Previous Topic: Evolutionary algorithm
Next Topic: Aromaticity perception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:33:40 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08408 seconds