openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Installation Issues » Support for 32-bit Windows discontinued?
Support for 32-bit Windows discontinued? [message #441] Fri, 11 January 2019 21:41 Go to next message
Andrew0
Thomas,

I went to download version 5.0.0 of DataWarrior, which sounds like it has some great new features. When I tried to install it, I got a message saying that my processor is not supported.

Is it correct to say that you are no longer supporting 32-bit Windows installations? I understand if so - just want to make sure that I understand the issue properly.

Thanks for your continued work on this project.
Andrew
Re: Support for 32-bit Windows discontinued? [message #445 is a reply to message #441] Wed, 16 January 2019 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Dear Andrew, I am sorry to hear that you can't run the 64-bit version for Windows. The 32-bit version was only existing for the reason that MicroSoft recommended to install 32-bit Java on 64-bit computers, because they had technical issues with Internet explorer 64-bit. Since version 4.7.2 DataWarrior uses its own Java installation rather than the pre-installed one. Therefore, a 32-bit version didn't seem necessary anymore. To be honest, I didn't think that somebody would miss the 32-bit version. What you could do is to download the linux version and update the 'datawarrior' shell scripts, which starts datawarrior on Linux. The Syntax for Windows is slighly different because of the classpath separators. The only disadvantage would be, that you wouldn't have proper file type support. You would need to open all files from within the DataWarrior application.

Hope that helps somewhat,

Thomas
Re: Support for 32-bit Windows discontinued? [message #454 is a reply to message #445] Fri, 25 January 2019 20:57 Go to previous message
Andrew0
Thomas,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I downloaded the Linux version, and I was able to hack together the launcher script into a Windows .bat file that functions properly. In case any of the other 4 users still on 32-bit Windows would like to use DataWarrior 5, here's the .bat file. In this example, the Linux files were unzipped to USERNAME's desktop.

launchDataWarrior.bat
:: Modify path to datawarrior files here
SET DWJAR=C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\datawarrior_linux\datawarrior

:: increase or decrease -Xms and -Xmx options as needed
:: insert "-Ddpifactor=1.5" (without quotes) after -X options to increase UI elements by 50% for HiDPI monitors

java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -splash:%DWJAR%\loading.png -cp %DWJAR%\datawarrior.jar;%DWJAR%\opsin.jar;%DWJAR%\jumbo.jar;%DWJAR%\jniinchi.jar;%DWJAR%\jep.jar;%DWJAR%\javaxVecmath.jar;%DWJAR%\ojdbc14.jar;%DWJAR%\mysql-connector.jar;%DWJAR%\WMF2Viewer.jar;%DWJAR%\batik-all.jar;%DWJAR%\xml-apis-ext.jar;%DWJAR%\commons-math-2.2.jar;%DWJAR%\substance.jar;%DWJAR%\substancelaf.jar com.actelion.research.datawarrior.DataWarriorLinux

PAUSE

Thanks again for your suggestion - I didn't think about utilizing the JAR files directly in Windows, but it makes sense that it should work (with the caveats you mentioned). I will use this workaround while I petition my bosses for a new computer.

Andrew
Previous Topic: DataWarrior.exe has stopped working
Next Topic: Downloading Datawarrior - Dropbox issue ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:42:55 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08653 seconds