openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Installation Issues » K-Ubuntu Install Help (I don't know if I installed it incorrectly or don't know how to launch the program. )
K-Ubuntu Install Help [message #1480] Mon, 24 January 2022 16:02 Go to next message
missmachine is currently offline  missmachine
Hello, I need some help getting started. I'm on KUbuntu on a VM Virtual Box. When I unarchive the tar_gz it creates a folder "datawarrior_linux" on my desktop. Under my environment I followed the directions on the readme.txt. It says it's putting the application under /opt/datawarrior so I was expecting to see a new directory under the datawarrior_linux folder, but there was nothing. I went digging and found in a different location /opt/datawarrior. But the stuff inside looks pretty much the same as the datawarrior_linux folder except it's missing the Resources folder. I don't see anything in the opt/datawarrior folder that looks like an application to execute. So I either did the install wrong or I don't know how to run datawarrior. I included a picture for reference. Sorry for such a noob question! Thank you in advance!
Re: K-Ubuntu Install Help [message #1481 is a reply to message #1480] Mon, 24 January 2022 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Hi, you are right that the installer is copying most of the files into /opt/datawarrior, which is a typical place to put installed applications. It also is supposed to add entries to the desktop database to tell Kubuntu about the new file types and the icons to use to show them. It also should create a '.desktop' file defining associating the application icon with the launch script (/opt/datawarrior/datawarrior) and create a desktop icon or/and add one onto the hierarchical application menu. Depending on the Linux dialect this may not always happen. If you now search for an application, then DataWarrior should show up. In the worst case, you should start it manually from a terminal with '/opt/datawarrior/datawarrior'.
Re: K-Ubuntu Install Help [message #1482 is a reply to message #1481] Mon, 24 January 2022 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
missmachine is currently offline  missmachine
Hi Thomas, thank you so much for your fast response! I do have an openmolecules-datawarrior.desktop under the Resources file. I found the icon under the Application Launcher, but when I click it I get an error (pic attached). It does work when I use the terminal though. I suppose I can use it that way to open it up from now on. I really appreciate your help! Smile
Re: K-Ubuntu Install Help [message #1483 is a reply to message #1482] Mon, 24 January 2022 22:25 Go to previous message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Hi Missmachine,

if you successfully have run the install.sh with sudo or as a super user, then you can remove the original datawarrior folder (not the one in '/opt'Wink. The openmolecules-datawarrior.desktop file should have been copied to the proper location on your system and the desktop database should know about it. Also a double click on a dwar file should open it in DataWarrior. However, I have tried with some Linux versions including Ubuntu, but not with Kubuntu.

Thomas
Previous Topic: Running DataWarrior 5.5.0 behind a Firewall/Proxy
Next Topic: DataWarrior won't start
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:17:09 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03709 seconds