openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Bug Reports » Choosing X-Y Axes in 2D Views
Choosing X-Y Axes in 2D Views [message #1340] Wed, 14 July 2021 21:08 Go to next message
ELFritzen is currently offline  ELFritzen
I recently noticed while attempting to choose an x or y axis in a new 2D table view that the columns shown don't have the same titles as found in either the table view or in the data window shown in the Table View. Are the columns under the x-y button in the 2D view updated to reflect the changes that one makes to the Column alias?

Also, is it possible to maintain the same order of columns no matter where a list of columns is displayed? I know I can order columns in the table view, but the table order is different in the data window and also in other places where one needs to display a list of the columns. As the number of columns increases it gets harder to find a particular column, especially when the order differs depending upon where you're looking.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed Fritzen
Re: Choosing X-Y Axes in 2D Views [message #1343 is a reply to message #1340] Sat, 17 July 2021 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
If a column has an alias defined then DataWarrior should always display the alias instead of the original name. However, and usually invisible to the user, DataWarrior uses original column names internally to reference a column, e.g. when writing a template file and associating a filter with a column. Thus, if the GUI presents the original name if an alias exists, you found a bug. I checked the xy menu and some other places, but could not reproduce the effect. Do you have a small dummy file, which you could send me, that shows the effect?

It is true that column lists are not consistent regarding their ordering. Often they are in table order, but sometimes they are alphabetically. The xy menu separates two blocks in addition: Columns, which if selected would hide some of the data point because of empty values, are shown in red and are listed at the end of the list. A possible solution would be to have a preference setting regarding native or alphabetical order...
Re: Choosing X-Y Axes in 2D Views [message #1356 is a reply to message #1340] Fri, 23 July 2021 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas,
Thank you for your reply. I've attached a dummy Datawarrior file that shows the problem I see. For the columns shown, the Column header does not have the same name when dropping down the x-y menu in a 2D view. For example, "Dundee Ave IC50" shows up as "mean of Dundee Ave IC50" in the x-y drop down menu. The same is seen for the other columns. These are only a few of the examples. There are others. It might be I set up these columns differently when I first added them, or someone else set them up. I hope this shows you what I see.

Thanks for your help.
Ed Fritzen

Ed Fritzen
Re: Choosing X-Y Axes in 2D Views [message #1373 is a reply to message #1356] Thu, 19 August 2021 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Hi Ed,

thank you for the file. I now understand the issue better, which is not caused by the alias, but by the decoration ('mean of ...', 'sum of ...' etc)in case of a applied summary mode. While in most locations the original column name is used, the axis selection menu uses the decorated column name to emphasize that it is the 'sum' or 'mean' in case of multiple values, which determines the positioning on the axis.

I have made two changes in the hope that they solve the issue:
1. I now moved the decoration to the end of the name, e.g. 'Dundee Ave IC50 [mean]'.
2. I have sorted all column names in the xy/xyz popup menus alphabetically. At least if you know your column name, you can now find it quickly in the list

I am aware that most dialogs still use column lists in table order. I will probably need to sort them alphabetically as well.

The change is available for download as the newest dev version.

Thomas
Re: Choosing X-Y Axes in 2D Views [message #1390 is a reply to message #1373] Wed, 01 September 2021 20:41 Go to previous message
Thank you, Thomas. I'll check out the changes soon.

Ed

Ed Fritzen
Previous Topic: Fragment cannot be converted to 2D structural
Next Topic: Incorrect dearomatization of indazole structures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:32:30 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08380 seconds