openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Bug Reports » Undo function
Undo function [message #1212] Thu, 04 February 2021 21:00 Go to next message
Marcos Cunha is currently offline  Marcos Cunha
Hi there!

I'm a new user, and I have some basic questions about DataWarrior. Fist of all, I'd like to say that it is a fabulous software. However, one of the points that I just want to make sure is about the undo function (Crtl+Z). Does it exist? I have other few points that I would like to discuss in another moment.
Re: Undo function [message #1215 is a reply to message #1212] Fri, 05 February 2021 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Unfortunately, a general undo function would significantly increase the memory requirements and would mean a much higher development effort for many tasks. It also would come with a performance price. In the forseeable future an undo won't be available. Thus, before running one of the few tasks, which remove or change data (delete or merge columns, search & replace, etc), then a workaround would be to save the current state in a file. The majority of tasks should be less of a problem, because they can be reverted manually, because they only add columns, change filters or view settings, etc.
Re: Undo function [message #1219 is a reply to message #1215] Sat, 06 February 2021 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nbehrnd is currently offline  nbehrnd
Because you may save any stage of DataWarrior's processing in a .dwar file, you may consider to manage this file (among others in your project) with a version control like git.

Not only allows you to «travel back in time» if (or: when) necessary, it equally may ease tracking what was done and when instead of separate file copies cluttering your work space. With a little extra, you may even engage collaboration on this very file (or project) with others, e.g. on GitHub, GitLab, etc.

Norwid

https://git-scm.com/
https://swcarpentry.github.io/git-novice/
https://github.com/
Re: Undo function [message #1241 is a reply to message #1219] Thu, 04 March 2021 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
richards99 is currently offline  richards99
I can understand the reasoning for not introducing an Undo feature, as there could be lots of data to store in case an Undo is requested by the User.
However, an Undo in the Chemical Sketcher would be very useful.

Simon.
Re: Undo function [message #1242 is a reply to message #1241] Thu, 04 March 2021 17:24 Go to previous message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
The chemical editor has an Undo, but admittedly, it is only one step. Multi-step undo would not be a big problem. The editor needs other improvements as well. Those will be done together, but this will be a matter of priorities...

Thomas
Previous Topic: calculated values
Next Topic: Generating 2D Coords does not work with 3D structures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:48:49 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06344 seconds