openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Functionality » How to change the data type in a column?
How to change the data type in a column? [message #121] Thu, 19 November 2015 17:46 Go to next message
jenninaj is currently offline  jenninaj
When importing a text file with a column that contains a mix of numbers (e.g. 1500.0, 9.3, etc.) and blanks datawarrior appears to cast this column as text. However, I cannot find a way to change the data type back to numbers and/or how to tell datawarrior during file import time that the column should be treated as numerical.
Am I missing an obvious function/command or is this basic requirement lacking from the current version of DW?
Thanks.
Re: How to change the data type in a column? [message #122 is a reply to message #121] Tue, 24 November 2015 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
The data type is determined automatically. If DataWarrior cannot perceive numerical content, it would not help, if you would declare the column to be numerical. I suggest to clean the data, e.g. with search & replace. If a column contains multiple numerical values, they either need to be in separate lines or they should be delimited by '; '. In your case it may already fix the issue, if you replace ', ' by '; '.

Hope this helps, Thomas
Re: How to change the data type in a column? [message #125 is a reply to message #122] Fri, 11 December 2015 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jenninaj is currently offline  jenninaj
Thanks. I've confirmed that this occurs when a field in a column contains only numbers but some other fields in the column are blank. I was surprised that based upon the blank/empty fields that DW then interpreted the entire column as text.
Re: How to change the data type in a column? [message #126 is a reply to message #125] Sat, 12 December 2015 14:45 Go to previous message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Empty cells are still considered numerical unless they contain invisible characters, e.g. spaces.
Previous Topic: Using text tool
Next Topic: Rounding up to specified decimal points.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:48:03 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08293 seconds