openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Functionality » How to customize Merge Equivalent Rows (Merge Equivalent Rows)
How to customize Merge Equivalent Rows [message #2207] Thu, 23 May 2024 06:44 Go to next message
yuan is currently offline  yuan
Hi Thomas,

Datawarrior is a very useful open-source cheminformatics tools. Thanks for sharing it.

We wanted to use it organize experiment data by merging different assay results. When we used merge equivalent rows, we found that except for selected column(s) for equivalent check, other columns with the same values were also merged as a single value. Can we keep them individual or modify this function to let user determine whether merging equivalent values?

Many thanks!

Yuan
Re: How to customize Merge Equivalent Rows [message #2209 is a reply to message #2207] Thu, 23 May 2024 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Hi Yuan,

thanks you for the hint. Of course, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I have update the source code now to offer three options:
- 'remove duplicates', which is similar to the current handling: if the cells to be merged all contain the same value,
then this value is placed into the merged cell only once. Otherwise we see all entries in original order
- 'keep duplicates', which is your suggested handling: we always see all entries in original order
- 'depend on columns groups', which assumes that related columns, e.g. result columns of one assay, are grouped using
the column grouping feature. Then it checks, whether all cells of the same column group are equal and only then it
removes for all these columns the same entry.

In the next version this will go live...

Thomas
Re: How to customize Merge Equivalent Rows [message #2212 is a reply to message #2209] Fri, 24 May 2024 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your quickly reply! I’m glad to hear that my suggestion was helpful. The updates you’ve made to the source code sound fantastic, and I’m sure they’ll improve the user experience. Offering three different options for handling duplicates will give users more control and flexibility when merging cells.

Great job on implementing these changes!

By the way, can we take a look at the updated version?

Yuan
Re: How to customize Merge Equivalent Rows [message #2214 is a reply to message #2212] Fri, 24 May 2024 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I prepared a test file for you. You can download it from https://openmolecules.org/datawarrior/datawarrior_v06.02.02a lpha.jar Then copy it into your datawarrior update folder. On Windows this is C:\\ProgramData\DataWarrior\

The standard procedure to test any non-yet-released functionality would be:
On a Linux or MacOS computer with JDK21/JFX (I suggest Liberica full JDK 21) installed clone the DataWarrior project from Github and build the jar file:
> git clone https://github.com/thsa/datawarrior
> buildDataWarrior

Then rename the built 'datawarrior_all.jar' file to any version newer than the current one, e.g. 'datawarrior_v06.02.02.jar' and put it into your datawarrior update folder, where the other automatic updates are located. This works on any platform (Linux, Mac, or Windows). If you then launch DataWarrior, it will use this version. Don't forget to remove the file after testing it.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 May 2024 15:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to customize Merge Equivalent Rows [message #2221 is a reply to message #2214] Tue, 28 May 2024 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the updated .jar file and tested it. Really fantastic!
I believe more users will benefit from it.

Yuan
Re: How to customize Merge Equivalent Rows [message #2224 is a reply to message #2221] Tue, 11 June 2024 14:25 Go to previous message
Hi Yuan, your example image is a perfect illustration for this feature. May I use it for the manual?
Previous Topic: Retrieve data from SQL database
Next Topic: Comparing two databases by merging
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 10:58:07 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03387 seconds