openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Installation Issues » Newest Version Install
Re: Newest Version Install [message #2188 is a reply to message #2138] Sun, 12 May 2024 11:48 Go to previous message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Building and testing installers for the three different platforms usually keeps me busy for an entire weekend, while providing a new online-update is a matter of minutes. From user perspective an online update is basically clicking 'OK' once, while removing an older installation, and doing a fresh install is much more effort and also poses the danger to remove own macros, plugins or other files. For these reasons, I only publish a new set of installers once there is a real need.

From a security point of view, manual installers require admin rights and, and in my opinion pose a higher risk than an automatic update. Automatic updates install a new datawarrior jar file only, of which the entire source code is published. The mechanism DataWarrior used for doing the automatic update is also open-source. Thus, this is fully transparent and, at least in my opinion, should not be a security issue.

Thomas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Interest in a Mavenised form of the code?
Next Topic: RHEL 7x - DW 6x - Error on open
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 10:34:15 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03230 seconds