openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Installation Issues » DataWarrior 6.10 in windows: heap-memory Xmx limit? (trying to use EL in windows, it is possible that heap-memory limits may the WP6.1 program to stop or crash)
DataWarrior 6.10 in windows: heap-memory Xmx limit? [message #2227] Wed, 19 June 2024 12:31 Go to next message
juliocoll is currently offline  juliocoll
I am trying the Building Evolutionary Libraries (EL) DW method using the new DW6.1 version in windows 10. The DW16 program launches Ok and seems to be working very well, including the size of the lettering improvements (many thanks for that detail!Wink.

However, I may have fallen into small heap-memory for EL.
If I am right, according to the new Datawarrior.exe/.rsrc/VMOPTIONS/5000, the maximum Xmx heap-memory is set to Xmx3600m, which could explain my abundant failures....

Is it possible to set Xmx to use as much heap-memory as available?
I though to have read something like may be posible, but I may be mistaken.

Alternatively, is there another way to increase heap-memories in DW6.1 windows?.
As thomas suggested more than a year ago, I have been sucessfully using windows DW5.5 with 100g heap-memory set by a Linus/windows.exe bypass (enclosed startJarWin.bat).
Is there something similar for DW6.1?.
I tried different alterations of that bat file but I got an extensive pile of failures to launch the WP6.1.....

Any ideas would be most welcome
Thanks for your attention!
julio

Julio Coll
Profesor de Investigación. Emérito
Dpt.Biotecnología
CSIC-centro Nacional INIA, Madrid, SPAIN
Dr. Biologia Univ.Comp(UCM). Madrid, Spain
PHD. Biology Mass.Inst,Technol (MIT). Massachusetts, USA
orcid: 0000-0001-8496-3493
Re: DataWarrior 6.10 in windows: heap-memory Xmx limit? [message #2230 is a reply to message #2227] Fri, 21 June 2024 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
In DW6 a few things are different. On Windows DataWarrior.exe does not contain the main code anymore. It just contains a small launcher that may download an update and then launches the newest datawarrior.....jar. You can launch the same jar from the command line with e.g.:

"C:\Program Files\DataWarrior\jre\bin\java" -Xmx16g -Xms8g --add-exports java.base/jdk.internal.module=ALL-UNNAMED -jar C:\ProgramData\DataWarrior\datawarrior_v06.02.01.jar

As before, you can change Xmx (max memory) and Xms (memory at start) to your needs. You could also change these settings in the DataWarrior.exe using a hex editor, but that would be a kind of a hack...
icon14.gif  Re: DataWarrior 6.10 in windows: heap-memory Xmx limit? [message #2231 is a reply to message #2230] Fri, 21 June 2024 14:57 Go to previous message
juliocoll is currently offline  juliocoll
Thank you very much Thomas!
I put the code you send me into a bat file and: IT WORKED !!! Smile
cheers
julio

Julio Coll
Profesor de Investigación. Emérito
Dpt.Biotecnología
CSIC-centro Nacional INIA, Madrid, SPAIN
Dr. Biologia Univ.Comp(UCM). Madrid, Spain
PHD. Biology Mass.Inst,Technol (MIT). Massachusetts, USA
orcid: 0000-0001-8496-3493