openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Bug Reports » Issue with Blurry Structure Display in DataWarrior 6.1
Issue with Blurry Structure Display in DataWarrior 6.1 [message #2194] Fri, 17 May 2024 15:31 Go to next message
yunforce is currently offline  yunforce

Dear DataWarrior Support Team,

I am writing to express my concerns regarding an issue I have encountered with the latest version of DataWarrior.

As a loyal user of DataWarrior, I have greatly appreciated the powerful features and user-friendly interface of your software. However, after upgrading to version 6.1, I have noticed that the structure display has become very blurry. This issue is particularly pronounced when I use an external monitor, significantly impacting my user experience.

Due to this problem, I have found it necessary to revert back to version 5.5, which does not suffer from this blurriness. While I prefer the older version for its clearer display, I am also interested in utilizing the new features offered in version 6.1, which puts me in a difficult position.

I kindly request that your team investigate this issue and consider implementing a fix. Ensuring the clarity of the structure display in the latest version would greatly enhance usability, particularly for those of us who rely on external monitors.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your response and hope for a resolution that allows me to fully benefit from all the advancements in DataWarrior 6.1 without compromising on display quality.

Re: Issue with Blurry Structure Display in DataWarrior 6.1 [message #2196 is a reply to message #2194] Fri, 17 May 2024 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
I am aware of an issue on some Windows 11 installations, where structures within the 'Structure View' are shown with less resolution such that individual pixels are visible. In this case all other structures (editor, detail view, filters, etc) were still OK. Do you have this issue? Do you use Windows 11? Do you use high a high res monitor, e.g. 4K? How does the issue change/persist with UI-scaling in the Control panel, and/or the User-Interface-Scaling setting in the DataWarrior Help menu?
Re: Issue with Blurry Structure Display in DataWarrior 6.1 [message #2197 is a reply to message #2196] Fri, 17 May 2024 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't bother answering my questions. I could now reproduce the issue myself. It is not limited to Windows 11. I assume it is connected to a different handling between Java 8 and Java 21 on Windows. This issue does not seem to exist on Mac or Linux.
Re: Issue with Blurry Structure Display in DataWarrior 6.1 [message #2198 is a reply to message #2196] Sat, 18 May 2024 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am experiencing the exact issue you mentioned. I am using Windows 10, not Windows 11, with two 4K resolution monitors. I have tried adjusting the user interface scaling settings, but it has not resolved the issue satisfactorily.

I sincerely hope your team can address this problem, as I have tested several desktops and laptops, and they all show the same issue.

Re: Issue with Blurry Structure Display in DataWarrior 6.1 [message #2199 is a reply to message #2198] Tue, 21 May 2024 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just released v06.02.00, which introduces better multi-screen support. Especially, on Windows it now checks the dpi-resolution for each display and tracks windows when they travel through displays to update the applied resolution to take full advantage of high-dpi displays. Since I never use Windows, it completely slipped my attention that DataWarrior 6 lost its high-dpi support on Windows. This is because DataWarrior 6 uses Java 21, which reports component sizes on Windows different from Java8 that I used before.

Strange that you were the first person to complain. Many thanks for this...
Re: Issue with Blurry Structure Display in DataWarrior 6.1 [message #2205 is a reply to message #2199] Wed, 22 May 2024 10:34 Go to previous message
Dear Thomas,

I wanted to extend my gratitude for your team's swift response and effective resolution of the screen blurriness issue I previously reported. The fix has greatly improved my user experience.

However, I have encountered another issue with the updated version. In previous versions (all versions prior to 6.02), when setting the number of molecules per row, each molecule would automatically adjust its size according to the cell size. This feature was particularly useful for viewing large molecular structures, as it allowed us to enlarge the molecule itself to better see the details.

In the current version, after changing the number of molecules displayed per row, the size of the molecules seems to remain unchanged, while only the display cells become larger. This makes it difficult to clearly view high molecular weight compounds, as we need to magnify the molecular structure itself to see its details clearly.

I hope you can optimize this setting in the new version to restore the previous functionality. This adjustment would significantly enhance the usability for those of us who frequently work with large molecular structures.

Thank you very much for your attention to this matter.

Best regards,

Yun
  • Attachment: 图片1.png
    (Size: 126.10KB, Downloaded 26 times)
  • Attachment: 图片2.png
    (Size: 95.98KB, Downloaded 27 times)
  • Attachment: old version1.png
    (Size: 298.38KB, Downloaded 28 times)
Previous Topic: error with Chinese characters in the file name
Next Topic: glyphs not showing properly after update to 6.02.00
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 00:52:50 CEST 2024