openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Bug Reports » Bizarre behavior with macos Sonoma (menus are not active untill show splash page 2nd time)
Bizarre behavior with macos Sonoma [message #2103] Fri, 19 January 2024 22:18 Go to next message
chemtv is currently offline  chemtv
Hello,
I recently upgraded to a M3 mac with sonoma v14.2.1. I installed datawarrior and went through the process of allowing the program to "Open anyway" in System Settings / Privacy & Security. No worries, this has to be done all the time with scientific software that Apple knows nothing about.
However, now when I start up datawarrior I see the splash screen for a few seconds and it goes away as normal, but at this point all menus are NOT active except "Datawarrior" menu. Through trial and error I have found that clicking "About Datawarrior" in the Datawarrior menu, then clicking the image to close it a 2nd time, the menus are now active! I have to perform this bizarre ritual every time I use datawarrior. Has anyone else seen this? Do you have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks for any pointers,
Greg
Re: Bizarre behavior with macos Sonoma [message #2106 is a reply to message #2103] Sat, 20 January 2024 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Hi Greg,

coincidentally, I had the same effect yesterday on my Macbook Air M2 after playing around with XR-glasses connected to the USB-C port. They basically serve as a second monitor. Suddenly, the Macbook was in a state where the DataWarrior menu bar (except the left 'DataWarrior' menu) was not accepting mouse clicks. Cmd-Shortcuts, however, worked. And after using e.g. Cmd-O and 'Cancel' the menu was working. I rebooted and DataWarrior worked perfectly. Now, after reading your message, I tried to repeat all things I remember I have done yesterday, but I was unable to get the Macbook into that state again, where the menu refuses mouse input after launching DataWarrior. I assume that it is a Sonoma issue, because DataWarrior 6.0.0 crashes on Sonoma 14.1 when trying to put the menu bar to the top of the screen (instead of top of window). Apple seemed to have removed the OS calls that Java uses for that and brought them back with the Sonoma 14.2.1 update. Do you use multiple screens? And do you have the issue directly after restarting the Mac? Do you have other Java based applications that behave the same way?

Thomas
Re: Bizarre behavior with macos Sonoma [message #2108 is a reply to message #2106] Sun, 21 January 2024 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, my problem is when I'm using an larger external HDMI screen at my desk. When I use the native laptop display the menus work OK, no special tricks needed. So something with using the external display is messed up.

Greg
Re: Bizarre behavior with macos Sonoma [message #2109 is a reply to message #2108] Sun, 21 January 2024 18:49 Go to previous message
Always occurs when using the external display, reboot or not.
Previous Topic: > and < signs not interpreted in 6.0.0
Next Topic: Enable to export to sdf format
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:03:40 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04048 seconds