openmolecules.org

 
Home » DataWarrior » Installation Issues » Problem with importing macros from previous versions
Problem with importing macros from previous versions [message #186] Thu, 18 August 2016 19:12 Go to next message
estangeland is currently offline  estangeland
Messages: 1
Registered: August 2016
Location: United States
Junior Member
First of all, Datawarrior is an incredible piece of software that I use on a daily basis, so thank you very much for sharing the program.

Today I updated my DW from 4.2.2 to 4.4.1. Prior to the update, I copied all of my macros to a separate folder to avoid them getting lost. After I updated the program, I copied each macro back the the macro folder in DW. However, several of my macros no longer work. As far as I can tell, my macros that were created prior to 4.2.2 are the problem. All of the macros worked in 4.2.2.

I plan to look at all the files in texteditor to see if I can figure out what the problems were, but since I assume others will also experience this problem, I thought I'd post my question.

Thanks
Re: Problem with importing macros from previous versions [message #187 is a reply to message #186] Thu, 18 August 2016 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Messages: 155
Registered: June 2014
Senior Member
In 4.2.2 macros were a rather new technology and supported only a part of DataWarrior's functionality.
Till 4.4.1 some macro concepts were changed and macro support significantly extended. Nevertheless,
the intention was to keep old macros functional.

If some of your macros, which don't work anymore, are not confidential, then I suggest that you send them to me
to check what can be done to solve the issue and especially to recognize and remove potential bugs.

From the programming point of view macros are complex to implement and there are lots of things that can go wrong.
And since most people don't use macros frequently, it takes long to discover bugs. Therefore, I am grateful for
everybody helping to get this powerful technology to a reliable robust technology.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas
Re: Problem with importing macros from previous versions [message #190 is a reply to message #187] Sun, 21 August 2016 00:54 Go to previous message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Messages: 155
Registered: June 2014
Senior Member
Thank you for sending me some test macros. Sadly, I found that the 'Add Row Numbers' task contained
a bug that caused a null-pointer-exception if no category column was used. I considered this serious
enough to immediately release a bugfix, which I just have done (v4.4.2).

Thank you for helping fixing this issue by telling me and sending the macros.

Kind regards,

Thomas
Previous Topic: Installation file is considered malware by browsers and anti-virus software...
Next Topic: Problem Installing DW on mac
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 20 04:59:11 CEST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00507 seconds