openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Installation Issues » Windows 32-bit version (How can I get the 32-bit version for Windows)
Windows 32-bit version [message #916] Wed, 27 May 2020 22:57 Go to next message
desten is currently offline  desten
Hi!
On my work, I use pretty old computer with 32-bit Windows 7. I've read that DataWarrior doesn't support 32-bit anymore. Well, it sounds reasonable but I have to find the way how can I use it on my work computer. I would be happy even with old 32-bit version. How can I get it?

Thank for the help! And thanks for developing such a great software!
Re: Windows 32-bit version [message #917 is a reply to message #916] Thu, 28 May 2020 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
You may stick to the old version or download 4.7.2 32 bit (downloadable from: openmolecules.org/datawarrior/datawarrior472_32.msi).

If you have a Linux or MacOS computer available, then building from source code would be very easy.
The easiest would be, however, to download and unpack the current linux version.
It contains a 'datawarrior directory' that you can use on Windows as well, if you have a JRE installed.
Open a command shell, cd into the datawarrior directory and run:
java -Xms512m -Xmx4096m -splash:loading.png -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -cp *.jar com.actelion.research.datawarrior.DataWarriorLinux
You may put that into a .bat file for easier access.

Problems are:
- you need to unpack the downloaded tar.gz. If you have a Linux or Mac computer available, you can use those ("tar -zxvf datawarriorXXXlinux.tar.gz") and move the unpacked datawarrior directory with a USB stick. On Windows itself you may have to find a tool to unpack the tar.gz. A modern Windows also has bash support and should allow unpacking with the same syntax.
- You don't have native file support: incorrect icons and a double click doesn't start DataWarrior. You would need to open files from the File menu within DataWarrior.

Hope it was understandable, Thomas
Re: Windows 32-bit version [message #918 is a reply to message #917] Thu, 28 May 2020 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nbehrnd is currently offline  nbehrnd
With an old computer at hand, you may probe with a live installation medium of a light-weight Linux
distribution, e.g., of Xubuntu, if the hardware at disposition is at all Linux compatible. If this
is the case (e.g., a computer purchased in 2010 or later), you may opt for an dual-boot installation
of Xubuntu (64 bit) side-by-side to Windows 7 (32 bit) -- while starting the computer, you will be
asked to choose either one of the operating systems to use.

This approach is not to replace one operating system, by an other; rather, it will complement the two
with each other. Linux, then installed on a partition separate from the one about Windows, and the
one about your data, would allow you to work with current releases of DataWarrior. (Don't forget to
backup the computer prior to this manoeuvre.)

Norwid

https://xubuntu.org/
http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/ubuntu-dvd/xubuntu/releases/2 0.04/release/
Re: Windows 32-bit version [message #919 is a reply to message #918] Thu, 28 May 2020 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
desten is currently offline  desten
I can't use linux on my work PC just because the company restrictions. But I downloaded 4.7.2 32 bit that you gave me and it works perfect and fits all my needs.
Thank you so much for your help!
Re: Windows 32-bit version [message #1382 is a reply to message #916] Wed, 25 August 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
antaki is currently offline  antaki
Hi!
I also use an old computer with 32 bit Windows 7. I would like to download version 4
.7.2, but from the link openmolecules.org/datawarrior/datawarrior472_32.msi I cannot do it.
Can anyone drop another link or the file itself?
Re: Windows 32-bit version [message #1383 is a reply to message #1382] Wed, 25 August 2021 15:18 Go to previous message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
I assume the file got lost after updating to the new web server. I have put a new copy there. Now the link should work.
Previous Topic: DataWarrior 521 does not open on Windows 10
Next Topic: Running DataWarrior 5.5.0 behind a Firewall/Proxy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:33:33 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12555 seconds