openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Functionality » typing in text columns
typing in text columns [message #711] Mon, 02 December 2019 19:15 Go to next message
P_Fitz
I am annotating a data set in data warrior and so I created an empty text column. It seems to me that in order to edit values in the text cell I need to double click there. This becomes rather cumbersome when I am annotating large sets of data. Would it be possible to have the text cells function more like an excel spreadsheet where if the cell is highlighted I can just type the value I want in it?

Please let me know if I need to clarify my question. Thanks!

Patrick
Re: typing in text columns [message #726 is a reply to message #711] Tue, 17 December 2019 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
DataWarrior will never work like a spreadsheet, but you can achieve a lot with the "Search & Replace" functionality, e.g. you may replace all empty cells within all selected rows of one column fill with a defined content.

Automatically adding keystrokes to the content of a selected cell (provided that exactly one cell is selected) seems dangerous to me because of unintended changes of a cell's content. Also, for non-empty cells we would need a way to move a cursor to define where to insert key strokes. Spreadsheets have an input line at the top for this purpose. The current DataWarrior beta version allows to use the arrow keys in the table view to move the selection of a single cell in arrow direction. Currently, the enter and return keys move the selection downwards. If Enter&Return would open the text editor instead, this would allow for a faster cell editing without involving the mouse. Would that be a reasonable workaround in your opinion?

Thomas
Re: typing in text columns [message #845 is a reply to message #726] Fri, 10 April 2020 14:51 Go to previous message
mcmc
I can chip in with a workaround that I find very useful:

* close DW
* open the .dwar file in a text editor (I use notepad++)
* select the portion between (not including) </column properties> and <hitlist data>. This is the actual spread sheet.
* press ^x (cut) and paste into empty excel file
* edit whatever needs to change. Also adding columns is allowed (eg calculated pKa's). Resorting is OK too.
* When done, press ^a (select all), ^c (copy).
* Back to text editor. press ^v (paste), ^s (save).
* Now the .dwar file can be opened again in Datawarrior

Previous Topic: Deleting Hidden Columns and Setting Column order
Next Topic: Re-open 2D/3D-Graphs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:36:03 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07126 seconds