openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Functionality » Adding data (Can you paste data into the middle of the table from excel?)
Adding data [message #459] Wed, 30 January 2019 21:17 Go to next message
kfreeman is currently offline  kfreeman
Can you paste data into the middle of the table from excel?
I would like to be able to add data to a subset of cells in a previously defined column.
Thanks
Re: Adding data [message #471 is a reply to message #459] Tue, 12 February 2019 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
Currently, you cannot. Pasting a few values into one column would not be a big problem, pasting multiple columns may be more complex, if it requires creating new rows or columns on the fly. This would need to trigger a cascade of things, e.g. re-evaluating existing column content, adding new columns and rows, changing/removing filters and views accordingly, etc. But it is certainly feasible with a limited effort. I took a note and added it to the wish list.
Re: Adding data [message #474 is a reply to message #471] Wed, 13 February 2019 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kfreeman is currently offline  kfreeman
Thanks for the response. You said that Pasting a few values into one column would not be a big problem, how would you do that? Thanks, Katie
Re: Adding data [message #486 is a reply to message #474] Thu, 07 March 2019 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I meant changing the code to allow pasting values into multiple cells of one columns would be a simple matter, because it would afterwards require to re-analyze this columns content and to send proper change events to all views and filters that/if the data values, kind or range changed. If new columns or rows need to be created, this would be more effort.
Currently, the only way to change multiple cells from the clipboard is to do it one by one: copy something, double click a DataWarrior cell, type Ctrl-p and click OK.

I will check the effort and may then implement a 'paste into table' functionality.

Thomas
Re: Adding data [message #508 is a reply to message #486] Fri, 22 March 2019 17:34 Go to previous message
finally I have implemented the functionality to paste TAB-delimited text into a DataWarrior table with a right mouse click on a specific cell and selecting a menu option. This causes DataWarrior to replace cell content starting from the selected cell, extending to right and bottom according to row and column count of the pasted data. If the pasted table is larger that current visible cell count starting from the selected cell then DataWarrior will add new columns and/or rows to create the needed space. Of course, after pasting some pasted values may not be visible, if filter settings cause them to be hidden.

You may download a beta-update of DataWarrior with this issue built-in:
openmolecules.org/datawarrior/dw500win.zip for Windows and
openmolecules.org/datawarrior/dw500x.zip for Linux and Macintosh

Both updates require the official version 5.0.0 to be installed, of which 2 files should be replaced by the ones found in the zip file.
Previous Topic: Cluster t-SNE plot
Next Topic: drug score/evolutionary algorithm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:45:42 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08412 seconds