openmolecules.org

Home » DataWarrior » Bug Reports » new version 4.4.3 is very resource intensive (new version 4.4.3 is very resource intensive)
new version 4.4.3 is very resource intensive [message #199] Tue, 20 September 2016 01:49 Go to next message
mvamos is currently offline  mvamos
index.php?t=getfile&id=16&private=0Related to my last post, this new version eats up a lot of memory. When a file is open I'm seeing >1.4 GB of memory used, which is much more than the Google Chrome with 7 tabs open. This high memory usage is reflected in how slow DW is now. Not sure what improvements/changes were made from the previous version to elicit the memory usage change, but if I had to vote, I'd say I'd prefer the faster and less cumbersome previous version of DW.
  • Attachment: Untitled.png
    (Size: 19.58KB, Downloaded 608 times)
Re: new version 4.4.3 is very resource intensive [message #201 is a reply to message #199] Fri, 23 September 2016 23:28 Go to previous message
thomas is currently offline  thomas
the improvements were in the functionality and not in general architecture issues. They should neither have an influence on the speed of the application nor cause a substantial change of the memory usage. One general problem, which is exclusiv to Windows, is that the Java runtime environment immediately claims the maximum defined memory. As a consequence DataWarrior must balance this maximum value to on one hand allow the handling of 100.000 structures, and on the other hand to fit into the physical memory of a moderately equipped machine. Especially on 32-bit Windows this is delicate. Therefore, I recommend using Linux, a Macintosh, or at least Windows 64-bit with at least 4GB of memory. On Linux or Macintosh you may define how much memory you allow DataWarrior to use. Theoretically this can be also done with the Windows executable, but you would need a hex-editor to do that.

Thomas
Previous Topic: New Aug 2016 version is slow
Next Topic: V3000 export issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:14:25 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04089 seconds